Adding a Shurriken Cannon (aka my first miss-cast)
Yesterday I made my first steps into the world of casting, mould making and (of course) failing to cast resin. But first things first: With the new Eldar codex Jetbikes became so nice again, that I need a lot of them. Being a denizen of Saim Hann it was more than inevitable that I would buy a lot more of these Jetbikes. Returning from a business trip 20 of these fast jetbikes waited for me in a box from Russia.
Again the casting quality is superb and I have not found one objectionable jetbike in the batch. Assembling and painting is in progress, but during that work I figured that even though these jetbike conversions look so beautiful I am lacking the shurriken cannon upgrade. The normal GW cannon upgrade does not fit, because it is built to fit the regular GW jetbike.
So I took out the knife, a bit liquid green stuff and built this thing here:
This new cannon upgrade shall be the master for a lot of copies (because one day in the future there will be a lot of red jetbikes in my army). So I took out these materials:
My first attempts to create a mould were more or less successful, using modelling dough to fill in the space below the shurriken cannon and then pouring silicone on top of it.
After about 30 minutes of waiting for the silicone to harden, I could turn the green piece of the first mould upside down, apply a layer of mould wax and then pouring enough silicone for the second half of the mould. After waiting again for 30 minutes I had my first two-piece mould. Even tough it was late already I couldn’t wait to try a first cast. Mixing the resin and the hardener 1:1 and pouring the mix in the mould… waiting again… and there it was: the first copy of the shurriken upgrade.
Generally the cast was okay for a first cast. But if I had paid this piece, I would have been upset. While the cast looked nice from above, it looked really bad from the side view. Reason was: the line where the two parts of the mould would connect was not fitting exactly and (I assume that) also the moulds bended a bit, which worsened the result. The maligning mould parts caused a very very bad mould line which makes it impossible to use. Also the 1:1 ratio between resin and hardener seems not to create the best results, since the resin is still somewhat soft and very very easy to bend.
I will need to create new moulds and with the next try I will use a different technique (not using clay but alginate). Also I need to experiment a bit with the mixing ratios for the resin and then of course I need a lot more