Casting Shuriken Cannons (Part 2)
After giving it some thought and researching some tutorials, I found something that I hadn’t seen so far: mould making using alginate to create an even mould line. I still had some alginate back home so I tried. Also I decided to use the famous LEGO frame for the mould.
Interestingly LEGO produces their bricks in very very odd colours nowadays. But these bricks served their purpose (even though ugly looking). The picture is a bit misleading, since it looks as if the whole bottom was covered with play dough. But in fact it was just enough to place the master model on a tiny hill made of dough.
Next step was mixing up the alginate and filling it into the brick-frame. Alginate hardens quite rapidly, so this step need to be prepared thoroughly. Best is to use a vessel that makes pouring the alginate mix easy, like a pitcher. Then I poured just enough alginate into the frame, that the level rose to about half of the master model. That way it’s possible to create a very even mould line, which makes it a lot easier to separate the two mould pieces lateron. (Note: It’s very important to do this on an even surface)
When the alginate hardened, I did the usual two steps to create the mould. After both pieces hardened I checked the mould and indeed the result was much better than in the first try.
Time for the first cast. This time I also tried to measure the resin as precise as possible using medical syringes from a pharmacy (they cost about 0.10€ when buying them in a pack of hundred and are awesome for a lot of hobby related uses).
The second cast ever looked a lot better than the first cast, but is still a good way from “nice”. After cleaning the cast and removing the excess resin it looked like this.
In conclusion I am generally satisfied, because this mould will serve my purpose of casting a lot of cannon upgrades for my jet bikes. There is though still a few minor issues. For example, the resin will not fill every detail and the cast always has a few bubbles. But nothing a bit of green stuff or some liquid green stuff can’t fix.
Next: casting a lot of them and attaching them to my jetbikes!