Preshades of Grey
Some time ago if got myself an airbrush. At first i used it to prime larger models like terrain pieces or tanks and by time i started experimenting with painting gradients and shadings with the airbrush. As i got more and more familiar with my new brush i tried to do a little more than just priming my models. Today i would like to share some impressions of my first attempt on preshading a large size model with you.
I really love to paint miniatures in a red color scheme. However painting red is a real pain in the ass if you want to achieve clean surfaces with a decent saturation of red. It used to take me ages to paint red surfaces, at first i always used a base color from the old Games Workshop Foundation range, than i shaded the basecoat with Devlan Mud. So far for the easy part. After that i layered at least 3 layers of red to achieve a good saturation of the red color. Sometimes i had to paint additional layers especially when painting large models as i wanted to achieve an even allocation of the color.
I tried to paint my Storm Raven that way but i quit because it would have taken too much effort to achieve a decent paintjob. I decided to try something new. I used the pre shading technique to do the red paint job on my model.
I started reading online tutorials regarding that technique. After that i went to my local hobby supplier and got myself some new airbrush colors and some masking tape. I started masking the already painted areas of the model and began with the priming. When it comes to preshading, is’t all about the priming and the preshades. So this the part you should work patiently on. I decided to use two layers of preshades. One medium and one real dark layer. After finishing the preshading i applied three very thin layers of red color on top of the preshades. Between all steps i used a hair dryer to reduce the drying time of the paint. Since pictures are worth a thousand words i have some pictures of the single stages of the progress for you.
I’m very satisfied with the final result of my experiment. Especially the areas with the preshades turned out marvellous. It would have taken me ages to achieve the same result with a traditional brush. It was fairly easy to apply the paintjob even for an air brush noob like me. If you are also an owner of an airbrush i would like to encourage you to give that technique a try.